As it has been known for more than a month, humanity is facing one of the most challenging threats in recent years in the face of the spread of COVID-19. The insidious ease of its transmission has forced governments to create and implement strategies aimed at blunting the force and reducing the speed with which it has infected countless people around the world.
These policies, while aimed at reducing infections, have also dangerous consequences for various social groups. Women’s rights and feminist groups have warned about the likely increment of domestic violence against women, the lack of access to goods and services, including those essential for living, for individuals employed in the informal sector, the particularly serious risks experienced by people experiencing homelessness and those deprived of liberty, among many others. In this letter Synergía and its partners request a statement about issues that particularly trans or non-binary people are experiencing:
- Read the OAS LGBTTTI Coalition letter in English here and Spanish here
- Read OAS Practical Guide to Inclusive Rights-Focused Responses to COVID-19 in the Americas launched on April 7th in Spanish here
- Read OAS Political Action Guide to Address the COVID-19 Pandemic under Democratic Principles in Spanish here.
- Read IACHR Resolution 1-2020 – Pandemic and Human Rights in the Americas in Spanish here
- Read the IACHR’s call to States to incorporate the gender perspective in the response to the COVID-19 pandemic in Spanish here and English here.
- Read the IACHR’s call to States to guarantee the rights of LGBTI people in response to the COVID-19 pandemic in Spanish here.
- Read the declaration of the Inter-American Court of Human Rights 1/20: COVID-19 and Human Rights: Problems and challenges must be addressed with a human rights perspective and respecting international obligations in Spanish here in English here and Portuguese here.